Wednesday, March 25, 2009

VisualPractice54- Sarah Hamerman

Freshly Cut!
A Game Featuring... Game!

The Concept:
For this project, I decided to create a puzzle, as I wanted to keep the rules of the game simple and focus on the aesthetics of the piece. Struggling to come up with some novel way to incorporate the idea of the game into my project, I repeated the word over and over in my head. "I've got it!" I thought, finally. "Game! Meat! Hunting! That's IT!" The imagery in the piece is a montage of various stages in the life cycle of hunted animals: a jumping deer, the antlers of a recently-killed animal, and a cut of meat prepared for human consumption. Though hunting is certainly the central theme of the piece, the work makes no comment on the practice, leaving interpretation up to the viewer-player. I'd like to say that I compounded three "games" into one-- a puzzle, big-game hunting, and a game with words.cut of meat prepared for human consumption. Though hunting is certainly the central theme of the piece, the work makes no comment on the practice, leaving interpretation up to the viewer-player. I'd like to say that I compounded three "games" into one-- a puzzle, big-game hunting, and a game with words.





Method of Construction:
I hand-drew the image on the puzzle in chalk pastel and pastel pencil on a 16 by 22 inch sheet of sanded paper. With regards to the composition, I paid particular attention to the relation between positive and negative space on the page-- because I layered many bold representational elements , I wanted the shapes between those objects to hold as much aesthetic weight as the shapes themselves. I then scanned the drawing, printing and backing the images on heavy poster board. I cut the puzzle into twenty-four pieces, all very similar in shape for added difficulty.




Packaging:
I decided to package the puzzle in a styrofoam meat container, as if the puzzle pieces were cuts of venison for sale in a grocery store. I wrapped the package in plastic wrap and affixed a large label, complete with a bar code and "expiration date." I photographed the finished product in the deli section at Whole Foods.

No comments:

Post a Comment