Once Upon A Time …
“Once Upon A Time…” is a 3-D boardgame where you can live out your own fairy tale! Choose
to be either a Villain or a Good Guy and fight your way to your happy ending.
Number of Players: 4 – 2 Teams of 2 players, Villain or Good Guys
How To Win: Reach your team’s happy ending, whether it be “Happily Ever After” or the “Reign of Evil”
How To Play:
Part I (played on the sides of the game board)
1. 1. All Players start at the place on the game board labeled START and start the game heading toward the left side.
2. 2. Go the number of spaces which you rolled with the dice.
3. 3. When you land on a Red Apple or Poisoned Apple space, take a Red Apple or Poisoned Apple card and follow the instructions on the back.
4. 4. In each of the two decks of apple cards, there are three Element Cards. Each team must collect their respective element cards to gain “access” to their respective paths to their happy ending.
5. 5. If a player picks up an element card that does not belong to their team, the card goes back into the deck.
6. 6. After one team gathers all three of their element cards, the opposing team must forfeit all the element cards they have gathered thus far and return them to the deck.
7. 7. At this time, all players must make their way to the entrance to the path of happy ending for the team which gathered all three of its element cards.
8. 8. However, Part II of the game does not begin till all players are lined up at the entry point to the path of happy ending for the team which gathered all three of its element cards
Part II (played on top or bottom of game board)
9. 9. The goal for the team which has gathered all three of its element cards first is to reach its “happy ending” first whether it be “Happily Ever After” or “Reign of Evil.”
10.10. However, the opposing team can make a comeback in the following two ways:
a. During Part II of the game, if the opposing is able to collect all three of their element cards then the game is reset and all players return to START, and each team once again has 0 element cards.
b. During Part II of the game, if the opposing team reaches the other team’s “happy ending” before they do, then the game board is flipped over and all players are transported to the opposing team’s path of happy ending, now giving the opposing team a chance to win the game instead. Hence Part II is restarted but on the opposite side.
11. 11. Whichever team reaches their “happy ending” first, wins the game!
Inspiration: When I was brainstorming an idea for this game, I knew that I was interested in creating somekind of boardgame but I wanted to have some kind of twist to the game, so I came up with the idea to create a 3-Dimensional board game. The theme of fairy tales came to me because I have always loved a good fairy tale since I was young so it seemed fun to make a board game which incorporated various aspects of classic fairy tales. I made the game box by cutting out pieces of cardboard and putting it together to create the shape I wanted. Then I covered the board with paper and painted on it to create the game board.